Carrot-Ginger Soup with Spicy Polenta Croutons
What You Need:
For the Soup:
- 1/2 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups organic carrots, peeled + chopped
- Himalayan crystal salt, to taste
- 2 cups organic vegetable stock
- 1-2 cups filtered water, if needed
- 1/3 cup sunflower seed butter
- 2 tsp Sriracha sauce
For the Croutons:
- 1 roll of polenta, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- dried Thai chiles – these are VERY hot, so use sparingly. You can always add more later if desired!
- Cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil, to lightly coat the polenta cubes (brush on or use a mister to use less)
To Make the Croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl- coat the polenta cubes with olive oil + sprinkle them with Himalayan crystal salt + the ground up dried Thai chiles. Lightly toss.
- Place the polenta on top of the baking sheet + bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
To Make the Soup:
- In a stock pot, heat a bit of olive oil for 30 seconds. Toss in the onion, garlic, + carrots and heat until lightly tender. Sprinkle some salt + pepper on top.
- Stir in the vegetable stock + water (use your judgment on how thick you want the soup…less water = thicker.) Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, + simmer for roughly 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Once cool, blend the soup in a high-powered blender (you may have to do it in 2 shifts…remember, hot liquid is like a volcano in a blender, so leave some space up top to avoid an explosion!) Place it all in a large bowl + add the sunflower seed butter and Sriracha sauce in- stir well. More Sriracha can be added if you want a spicier soup…use ALL you want.
- When serving, top with cilantro + 4-5 polenta croutons!