WHY I USE THEM
I believe in flavorful, healthy condiments that will enhance a meal without the guilt! These pickled red onions are so easy to make and you only need 5 ingredients! They are sweet and sour and are great to top tacos, salads, sandwiches, or lean piece of protein.
Did you know that we are more satisfied by a meal that is visually appealing to us? These gorgeously colored fuschia onions will brighten up any dish and bring a mind-body connection to your food thanks to how it looks!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF RED ONIONS
1 medium onion has just 46 calories but impressive amounts of vitamin C, B vitamins and potassium.
- VITAMIN C: is a powerful antioxidant that protects cells against damage from free radicals that cause chronic disease.
- B VITAMINS: specifically folate (B9) and pyridoxine (B6) that aid in metabolism, red blood cell production and nerve function.
- POTASSIUM: which supports normal cellular function, proper fluid balance, nerve transmission, kidney function and muscle contraction in our bodies.
- ANTIOXIDANTS GALORE: Disease-preventing antioxidants are prevalent in red onions. In fact, they contain over 25 different varieties of flavonoid antioxidants!
- Their pigment comes from their anthocyanin content. Anthocyanins are a part of the flavanoids mentioned above and are known for protecting against certain types of cancer and diabetes.
- They also contain fisetin and quercetin, flavonoid antioxidants that may inhibit tumor growth
- ANTI-CANCER PROPERTIES: They may help fight cancer. The anti-cancer properties of red onions have been linked to the sulfur compounds and flavonoid antioxidants found in the allium family of vegetables (onions, garlic, et al.)
- PRE-BIOTICS + FIBER: help improve digestive health. Pre-biotics are non-digestible types of fiber that are broken down by beneficial gut bacteria which feed on pre-biotics and create short-chain fatty acids including: acetate, propionate and butyrate. Research has shown that these short-chain fatty acids strengthen gut health, boost immunity, reduce inflammation and enhance digestion.
THE RECIPE: PICKLED RED ONIONS
What You Need:
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups sliced red onion
- 3 TB sugar
- 1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1 1/2 TB sea salt
- 1 minced garlic clove (optional)
- Mix the sugar, salt, + pepper together in a saucepan.
- Stir in the vinegar + dissolve the sugar + salt over medium heat, stirring consistently.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour over thinly sliced onions (+ optional garlic) in a glass jar.
- Seal it + refrigerate overnight!
1 oz. packs so much flavor and just 6 calories and 1g carbs