I am a true breakfast lover at heart and being a mom to a little one, I’ve muddled around in my kitchen trying to make the traditional breakfasts creative, healthier, + filled with flavor. These are my go-to pancake recipes that will serve you up with some fork-licking breakfast options!
Roasted Cinnamon Apple
Mixing the sweet with the savory is such a yummy experience for your tastebuds! Partner them with some morning veggies and/or greens for an added dose of nutrients.
Serve these up with some lightly roasted garlic tomatoes and you can have pancakes at ANY time of day!
Banana-Chocolate Protein Pancakes
Ok….so sometimes a cheat prep of these pancakes is in order! Take the protein pancake base from above + top them with melted chocolate chips + banana slices!
Creamy Asparagus Cleansing Soup
makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 ½ LBS asparagus, trimmed
- 1 TB butter
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ¼ C low-sodium chicken broth
- Sea salt + red pepper flakes, to taste
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ C cream from the top of a coconut milk can
- Optional: Parmesan cheese, to top
Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
Cook onion + garlic in the butter over medium heat – cook until tender- about 7-8 minutes. Add asparagus and cook 5 more minutes.
Stir in the chicken broth, cover, + let simmer 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is softened.
Using a hand blender or a countertop blender (you may need to blend in batches)- puree soup until smooth. Stir in the coconut cream, salt + pepper flakes, + lemon juice.
Top with Parmesan if you like or any other toppings like: grilled whole grain bread “croutons,” heart-healthy hemp hearts, or anything you think sounds good!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ASPARAGUS:
- Being low in calories, but high in water content + has fiber, it fills you up with nutrients and keeping you fuller, longer.
- The fiber content helps improve digestion. The vegetable also acts like a diuretic. (Hence your green + stinky potty time after eating.)
- Asparagus is low in calories, but bursting with nutrients like A, C, E, + K, folate, fiber, potassium, iron, zinc and riboflavin. The most prevalent vitamin is K, an essential nutrient involved in blood clotting and bone health.
- Asparagus is particularly high in the flavonoids quercetin, isorhamnetin and kaempferol. These substances have been found to have blood pressure-lowering, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and anticancer effects in a number of studies.
- Asparagus is high in folate (vitamin B9), an important nutrient that helps reduce the risk of neural tube defects during pregnancy.
- Thanks to potassium, it helps lower blood pressure.
White Bean, Italian Chicken Sausage, + Kale Soup
makes 4 main meal sized servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 LB spicy or mild Italian sausage, casing removed as-needed + crumbled
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1, 28 oz can white beans, drained
- 4 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 heavy dashes of Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 C shredded kale or baby kale
- Sea salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional: parmesan cheese, to top
Cook the crumbled sausage in a large soup/stock pot over medium heat for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through. Meanwhile, prep the other ingredients.
Transfer the sausage to a plate.
Add the onion to the pot and sauté it for 3-5 minutes or until it’s softened and starting to lightly brown. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Add the beans, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and rosemary. Stir well, scraping the bottom.
Take the pot off the stove. Using an immersion/stick blender, purée the soup. I like to leave some beans whole. You can also use a potato masher if you don’t have an immersion blender or a normal blender, in turns, if you want it smoother.
Return the sausage to the pot. Increase the heat to high + bring to a boil- cover, reduce the heat to a summer, cook for 15-20 minutes so the soup thickens.
Stir in the kale and let it wilt – season with salt + pepper as-needed.