Recipe Rehab for Classic and Creamy Elotes
I made this recipe to not only make it healthier, but also efficient for the time and groceries needed by having a quick prep and less ingredients needed to get the same flavor!
QUICK PREP TIP: you can buy fire roasted frozen corn and defrost it, remove moisture from it by pressing it between paper towels, and just heat it in a skillet briefly!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 6-7 minutes | Total Time: 16-17 minutes
makes 4 servings
- 3 cups of corn, prepared or see the quick prep tip above
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp butter
- 1/4 cup Cotija cheese
- 1/8 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/8 cup paleo mayonnaise (or avocado oil based)
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4-5 scallions, chopped
- 2-3 TB cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- Sea salt + pepper, to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, heat the butter until melted- roughly 30 seconds.
- Toss in the garlic, corn, + scallions. Cook until tender. Remove from the heat. Mix with cheese, lime juice, scallions, mayo, yogurt, cilantro, salt and pepper, and the chipotle pepper.
I gave these popular creamy dips a makeover to provide you with a rehabbed version so you aren’t splurging or purging too much on football Sunday. Woot!
SMOKED SALMON FOOTBALL SUNDAY DIP
serves 12 people
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 8 oz. whipped cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup light, paleo mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- Salt + pepper, to taste
- 1 – 2 TB hemp or oat milk, as needed to thin out
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, chopped
- 2 TB chopped green onions, plus more for topping
- 2 TB chives, chopped
- Serve with cucumber, carrot, jicama slices + toasted baguette slices
- In a mixing bowl mix together the cream cheese, yogurt, mayo, lemon juice, salt + pepper- mix well.
- Mix in enough milk to reach desired consistency.
- Fold in salmon and green onions.
- Preferably chill 1 hour or until ready to serve.
JALAPENO CORN DIP
Serves 10-12 people
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 1/2 cups of corn; to make this quicker, I buy frozen fire-roasted corn
- 2 Jalapeños, seeds & stems removed + finely chopped
- 12 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup crumbled quest fresco
- salt + pepper, to taste
- handful of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- Serve with jicama sticks and baked tortilla chips
- Defrost the frozen corn, then heat in a skillet over medium heat.
- Toss it in a bowl + mix it with the remaining ingredients.
- Chill for 1 hour before serving to thicken.
SPINACH + ARTICHOKE DIP
makes 12 servings
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 8 oz cream cheese; room temp (regular or 1/3 less fat)
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt (regular or 0%)
- 10 oz fresh baby spinach (gently sauté it + then push out excess water with paper towels)
- ½ cup artichokes- I buy jarred to save time
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup herbed feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes or until thickened + lightly browned on top.
- Serve with chopped veggies, pita chips, and/or tortilla chips.