The Wonders of Watermelon and Tasty Recipes for Summer
WATERMELON NUTRITION SCREENSHOT:
Watermelon is one of the most hydrating fruits because it is made of 92% water. This high water content not only gives your summer days a dose of water to hydrate, but also, fills you up thanks to the water and fiber content.
- Filled with Vitamins C, A, B1, B5, and B6
- Potassium and Magnesium
- Watermelon is also high in carotenoids, including beta-carotene and lycopene.
- As well as lesser known compounds like: citrulline, and cucurbitacin E
Despite the sweetness,. Watermelon is one of the lowest sugar fruits. Even lower in sugar than berries. With 46 calories per cup, it is also a low-calorie sweet treat.
HEALTH BENEFIT SHOUT-OUTS
- Lycopene and Cucurbitacin have been studied as anti-cancer compounds
- Lycopene has been reported to aid with heart health by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure
- Along with lycopene, the amino acid citrulline aids in heart health by increasing levels of nitric oxide in the blood vessels, which help them expand and reduce blood pressure.
- Other supportive heart health contributors: magnesium, Vitamins A, B6, and C, and potassium
- As a team, Vitamin C and lycopene are extremely helpful with lowering inflammation throughout the body that can lead to chronic diseases.
- Beta-Carotene is supportive for overall eye health.
GRILLED WATERMELON + FETA SALAD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes | COOK TIME: 10-14 minutes | TOTAL TIME: 20-24 minutes
makes 4 servings
- 2-cups-worth of watermelon slices-roughly 8 slices depending in the size. Chop into cubes after grilling.
- 1/2 of a red onion, grilled in 4-inch thick rings, then chopped after cooking
- 1 cup (8 oz.) Halloumi (whole feta cheese “brick,) then slice into strips after grilling
- 2 TB mint, chopped (grown by me!)
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced + quartered
- 1/2 pint Heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- Extra virgin olive oil,
- 1/2 of a lemon, and
- Balsamic cream
- Heat the grill or an indoor griddle to a medium heat.
- Have a tray to sort all of the items and bring to the grill.
- Place the watermelon slices on the tray.
- Brush the cheese with olive oil and place on the tray.
- Thickly slice the red onion, brush with oil, and place on the tray.
On the Grill:
- Start with the onions. The onions will take about 5-7 minutes/side until desired char is achieved.
- When flipping the onions, toss the cheese and watermelon slices on direct heat.
- Cheese takes 2 minutes/side
- Watermelon takes 2-3 minutes/side
- Chop the watermelon and red onion, slice the cheese, + then mix with the remaining fresh ingredients, top with oil, lemon, + balsamic cream and enjoy!
RECOMMENDED TOOLS | PRODUCTS
- I love my set of basting brushes to brush oil lightly onto produce or sauces onto foods while cooking- there are so many uses for them!
- What is balsamic cream or glaze? This thick, rich, syrupy condiment is also called cream or balsamic reductions and is essentially is made by cooking/reducing down balsamic vinegar by one half its volume and some brands or chefs add flavors to it the creams as well. My favorite is Isola Imports.
1 serving = 1 cup of salad
132 Calories | 4g Fat | 16g Carbs | 1g Fiber | 5g Protein
WATERMELON + CORN SIMPLE SUMMER SALAD
PREP TIME: 10 minutes | TOTAL TIME: 10 minutes
makes 6 servings
For the Salad:
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup corn, sweet preferred + cooked or raw
- 2 cups watermelon, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
For the Dressing:
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced
- Dash of sea salt
- In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
Chop and prepare ingredients for the salad and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Gently toss to mix together.
- Drizzle with dressing and lightly toss again.
1 serving = 1 cup of salad
98 Calories | 3g Fat | 18g Carbs | 3g Fiber | 2g Protein
- 1/4 small watermelon, seeded + chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, diced small
- ½ orange bell pepper, diced small
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, seeds removed + minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 TB cumin, ground
- Dash of coarse-grained sea salt, to taste
- Simply chop, mix, + enjoy!
STACKED NO-COOKING NEEDED WATERMELON SKEWERS
Get some skewers + layer 2 rounds of this on each:
- Watermelon, cubed
- Fresh mozzarella, thick chunk or “balls”
- Cucumber slice, cut thick
- Basil, coarsely chopped
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic cream
No-Sugar-Added or needed!
Makes 4 servings
- 4 Cups Watermelon, cubes
- 1 tsp lime juice and 1 tsp lime zest
- Optional: if this isn’t sweet enough for you, add in 2 TB or raw honey
- Blend together the watermelon + lime juice- pulse to achieve smooth consistency. Stir in the zest.
- Pour mix into a freezer-friendly container and freeze for 1 hour.
- Using a fork or butter knife, mix it up, then put it back in the freezer for another 3-4 hours before serving.