I love to keep breakfast and then lunch the lightest meals of the day loaded with the most veggies. This bowl is not only simple, but it is oh-so-filling without backing up your digestion system causing that too-full feeling.
NUTRITION ON YOUR PLATE:
ZUCCHINI has a slew of health benefits, including:
- Carotenoids like: lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-carotene, are particularly prevalent in zucchini. These may benefit your eyes, skin, and heart, as well as offer some protection against certain types of cancer.
- Aids in improving digestion due to its water content and soluble + insoluble fiber. Water makes the stool softer and easier to pass while insoluble fiber bulks up stool so it moves through the gut more easily; helping prevent constipation. Soluble fiber feeds the good bacteria living in your gut and these bacteria produce short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) that feed your gut cells. SCFAs may also help reduce inflammation and symptoms of certain gut disorders, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Crohn’s disease, and ulcerative colitis.
- This fiber content is a bonus because it also helps with blood sugar and heart health.
KOREAN ZUCCHINI NOODLE BOWL
WHAT YOU NEED:
makes 2 servings
TYPE: keto-approved, paleo-friendly, low-carb, anti-inflammatory
ALLERGIES: gluten-, dairy-, + peanut-free
For the Base:
- 3 cups of zucchini noodles, lightly sauteed
For the Sauce:
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell peppers
- 2 TB tahini
- 1 scallion
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 TB Gochujang (GROCERY TIP: make sure to find a gluten-free version)
- 2 TB coconut milk (FOOD TIP: skip the kinds with carrageenan in it)
- Breakfast: add a poached egg or egg over-easy
- Lunch: serve as-is for a light, simply veg meal
- Dinner: add a 3-oz salmon filet or 3 jumbo grilled shrimp
- Place the bell pepper, tahini, scallion, garlic, + Gochujang paste in a blender-mix well.
- Simmer in a saucepan over medium heat, add in coconut milk + simmer until thickened.
- Mix the sauce in with the noodles.
- Top with protein-of-choice based on the meal.
NUTRITION: 1 serving = 1 1/2 cups noodles
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 24.7 g
- Protein: 10.72 g
- Carbs: 32 g
- Fiber: 8 g